Bel Colle

Wines from this producer include: Barolo Monvigliero DOCG, Barolo Monvigliero Risvera DOCG, Chardonnay Le Masche DOC, Langhe Nebbiolo DOC

Region: Piemonte 

https://www.belcolle.it/en/

Learn more about these wines below:

Bel Colle Winery  

Bel Colle ("Beautiful Hill") is a medium to small size winery founded in 1978 and producing 15,000 cases of wine a year. It is located in the township of Verduno, in the heart of the wine growing region of Piedmont.  Located in the famous Barolo region of Piedmont, Verduno is a short distance south of the Tanaro river.  To the north of the Tanaro lies the Roero district, famous for the white Arneis wines.  Bel Colle thus has immediate access to vineyards in both regions, and they take advantage of this to produce both Roero and Alba wines.  The winery is near the vineyards that belonged to King Charles Albert of Savoy, King of Piedmont between 1821 and 1848.  Paolo Torchio, a 1964 graduate of the Enological School of Alba has been Winemaker and Director of the winery since 1986, after many years of experience in the Alba region.

Barolo Monvigliero Riserva DOCG

Viticultural Details

This 100% Nebbiolo wine is a single vineyard with excellent terroir and disposition to the sun.  The vineyard is located in one of the best areas of Verduno.  The Riserva is only created in “special” vintages.  In fact, only 3 of the past 17 vintages were deemed worthy enough to bear the Riserva designation!  The selection is made in the vineyard at the time of harvest of the best possible grapes.

Vinification and Maturation

After a 15 day fermentation and maceration, the wine is aged for no less than 3 years in Slovenian oak casks until ready.  Occasionally, the winemaker will put a portion of the wine in chestnut casks just to keep things interesting.

Tasting Notes

Color: traditional garnet red with orange tinges

Bouquet: full nose of roses, ripe small berries, and earthy spices

Flavor:  power packed with layers of flavor and intensity, full mouthfeel and well balanced, long finish

Serving Suggestions:  red meat, game, matured cheese

Barolo Monvigliero DOCG

Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 11.05.10 AM.png

Vinification and Maturation

After a 15 day fermentation and maceration, the wine is aged for no less than 3 years in Slovenian oak casks until ready.  Occasionally, the winemaker will put a portion of the wine in chestnut casks just to keep things interesting which makes this single vineyard product a perennial treat.

Tasting Notes

Color: traditional garnet red with orange tinges

Bouquet: clean perfume of sweet berries and cream

Flavor: medium bodied with fine tannic balance, elegant berry and strawberry flavors

Serving Suggestions:  red meat, game, matured cheese

 

Barbera d’Alba Superiore Le Masche DOC

Viticultural Details

Verduno is characterized by gentle undulating slopes with northwest and southwest exposure, and is 190 to 406 meters above sea level.  Bel Colle estate has a total of 12 hectares (30 acres) of vineyards.  The chardonnay grapes used in this wine are cultivated using the Guyot training system.

Vinification and Maturation

This 100% Chardonnay is partly fermented in oak barrique.  Le Masche is an Italian “fantasy” name for female characters similar to witches that that ward off evil spirits and transform things and is used by Bel Colle to identify its wines that are fermented or aged in oak barrique.  25% of this wine is fermented and aged for 6 months in new barriques.  The remaining 75% is fermented in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks.

 

Tasting Notes

Color: pale yellow with greenish tint

Bouquet: fruity with vanilla, apple and banana

Flavor: elegant, dry and velvety textured wine with many layers

Serving Suggestions:  aperitif, appetizers, shellfish and grilled fish

 

Langhe Nebbiolo DOC

Viticultural Details

Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 11.10.05 AM.png

This 100% Nebbiolo wine comes from the Langa vine and is preferably consumed young.  Only 8400 bottles per year are made of this wine and the yields are held to only 70%.

Vinification and Maturation

After fermentation in stainless steel tanks, the wine rests 50% in large oak casks and 50% in used barrique for an additional 12 months.  The wine is reunited in stainless steel for another 6 months before bottling.  Before being released to the market, the wine remains in the bottle for 6 months to complete the refinement.

Tasting Notes

Color: ruby red

Bouquet: delicate violet and raspberry notes

Flavor: dry and velvety with harmonic balance

Serving Suggestions:  grilled meat, fresh cheese